“Let the dawn and the sunset shout for joy” Psalm 65:8
“I can’t seem to sleep”, or “I have a terrible time falling to sleep”, or “I am so tired all of the time”, are all statements that are commonly heard. Does this pertain to you? Let’s look at “SUMMER SLUMBER” and how we may facilitate our increase in sleep and energy levels.
- Try to aim to a consistent hour for sleep, keeping your inner ‘clock’ consistent
- Gauge your personal rest at your own needs, not others around you. You may require only 6 hours of nightly slumber where another in your family or friends needs 8-10 hours to function well.
- Get some sunlight during the day, every day. This can increase your alertness and by exposing yourself to natural light each morning you help set your natural body clock.
- Exercise regularly, often morning exercise helps jump start your energy and alertness. Yoga or stretching before bedtime may also be beneficial.
- Avoid late and large meals in the evening. Try stopping all food & beverages (except water) within three hours of bedtime.
- Surround yourself with dimmer light and avoid computer or television screens with bright light before bed. Melatonin (the sleep hormone) is released more readily with less exposure to bright lights.
- Resist watching TV or using your Tablet or Laptop or Phone in the bedtime just before bed. Try to limit bedroom activity to sleep and sex only.
- Create a cozy sleep environment. Cool, soft colors, clean fresh linens, quiet noise, comfortable pillows, and decrease pets or children sleeping in your bed are all helpful.
- Assess your medication, supplement, or pill intake. Avoiding sleeping remedies or pills, and timing your regularly medications to avoid stimulation before bed is helpful.
- Don’t worry if you wake up in the middle of the night. If you are awake for over 20 minutes, get up, sit in dim light, read or listen to music, returning to bed when you feel tired.
- Lay down your worries and ask God to carry them through the nice, then awake rejoicing with a positive outlook on each new day.
- LAUGH before bed. Laughter reduces stress, increasing oxygen circulation, breaks to stress/worry cycle, and elevates the restful hormones before sleep.
May your SUMMER SLUMBER by restful and peaceful.
Alice Stephenson BSN,RN,PN
Parish Nurse Consultant